Sunday, October 2, 2011

Loading GemKit

So, I've been able to get a 32 bit GemStone database running and connect to it from GemBuilder.  The next step is to load GemKit in VW7.5.  This is a fairly straightforward process.  The packages are all in the Cincom Public Store Repository.  You need to load them in the following order.

  • GbcManagement 4.0 0.48.0
  • GbcReleaseTools 4.0 062.0
  • GS_AllUsers_SystemUser  empty 04.0
  • GS_Globals empty 11.0
  • GS_GemKit 4.0 000.0
Next, I need to push the methods in GS_GemKit to GemStone.  There aren't many methods, so I just connected into GemStone, opened a GemStone browser, and just used copy/paste from the VW browser to the GemStone browser to move all the methods over.  If anyone has a better way of doing this, please let me know.  I then commit my changes.

With all of these packages loaded in, I need to populate my GS_Globals package with the classes in GemStone.  I first connect into GemStone with my user id and open a VisualWorks browser.  From the browser, I select GS_Globals and from a context menu select "GemKit Compare With GemStone"  This gave me a window that allowed me to select all the methods and click on "Update Image".  It seems a bit odd that it asks me to define shared variables called Nil, True and False.  I say no to each one and the load finishes without any problems.  That question about shared variables is mentioned in the documentation method GbcSourceManager class >> documentation_installation.  It's also described in the method GbcSharedVariable >> methodsNeverToDefineInClient where the array #(#nil #true #false) is commented out and the returned answer is just #().  It might be best if we can keep the original code here.  I'll investigate.

That's pretty much it.  I've been able to push code back and forth to GemStone and it seems to be working reasonably well.

Next up:  My first attempts with GemKit in VW7.8

1 comment:

  1. There are at least two easier ways to update GS/S with the GS_GemKit code. You just need to login as SystemUser and use "GemKit Compare with GemStone". GemKit would recognize that GS/S is missing code and would ask you if it should install it for you. A second easier way is to login as SystemUser and execute "GbcSourceManager installGemKitSupportCode".

    ReplyDelete